continuing down through the lock, it will be necessary to wait for
sufficient water to clear the bar at the exit from St. Mullins cut.
Boats drawing <1m / 3 ft can clear this 2 hours each side of high
water – when the river has risen to the top of the lower lock gate
sluices. The fall of St. Mullins lock is 3.5m / 9.25ft.
km below the lock, at St. Mullins there is a shoal called the Scar,
which also needs to be passed over 2 hours each side of high water.
The deepest channel from the Lock to St. Mullins is midstream.
the reverse journey, upstream to St. Mullins, it is possible to wait
at the end of the quay at the Steamer Hole until the tide is
high enough to proceed up to the lock.
There is also a slipway adjacent to the Mullacháin Café.
Mullins Village & heritage sites
road leads uphill to the heritage centre, motte and bailey, graveyard,
abbey remains and well. There is also a pub, shop and
mapboard, outside the graveyard outlines the Slí na Sláinte route
(St. Mullins Slí na Sláinte walking route)
St. Mullins is also the starting/finishing point of the Barrow Way
- long distance way marked way.
Mullins acquired its name from St. Moling, a 7th century
cleric, who became Bishop of Ferns and built a monastery here in
632AD. In the 8th century manuscript (The Book of Mulling)
there is a plan of the monastery - the earliest known plan of an Irish
was plundered by the Vikings in 951, and again in 1138. Later, an
abbey was built on the site and a 9th century High Cross,
stands outside the abbey remains and the adjacent medieval buildings.
St. Moling's Mill and Well are a short distance away. There is also a
penal altar, used in the days when the anti-Catholic penal laws were
in force. A Norman motte, once topped by a wooden castle, stands
outside the churchyard.
buried in the graveyard include: The MacMurrough Kavanaghs, former
Kings of Leinster; Art MacMurrough Kavanagh (1418), who was poisoned
at Ross, and Fr. Daniel Kavanagh, who is said to have had the gift of
healing. To cure toothache it is recommended to exchange a pinch of
clay for some from Fr. Kavanagh's grave, say a prayer, pop the clay
into your mouth and wash it out with water from St. Molings Well.
includes a medieval church ruin, the base of a round tower and the
former Church of Ireland church, built in 1811. Protestants and
Catholics lie side by side in the churchyard, and when the Church of
Ireland Bishop was thinking of closing down the church, the Catholic
families joined the congregation, keeping it open. In 1986, the
Church was developed into a heritage centre
+ 353 (0)51