Graiguenamanagh                                                                       Section 26: Section Chart

The quayside, slipway and boathouse are all on the north bank / Graiguenamanagh side of the river.  There is also mooring on the south / Tinnahinch side of the river.  The town has guesthouses, shops, a bank, library, restaurants, cafés, pubs and a service station.  The Waterside Guesthouse offers accommodation, dining and hire bikes.

              

Graiguenamanagh (valley of the monks) is characterised by its 18th century, seven-arched bridge, built by George Semple across the River Barrow with Brandon Hill as an imposing backdrop. 

Duiske Abbey (after the Duiske river) was founded by William Marshall in 1204 as a Cistercian monastery, is the longest Cistercian church in Ireland and after a lengthy restoration, now serves as the Catholic parish church.

            

Annual Regatta

The Boat Club runs an annual regatta each August Bank Holiday.  The Sunday is a traditional regatta with cot racing (late 1800, adaptations of fishing cots), diving competitions raft races, swimming races and a high wire.The Monday features a modern rowing regatta with visiting crews from all over the country.   There is also a Town of Books and Michaelmas Fair each autumn.

 

 

Barrow Way, South Leinster Way, Silaire Wood

The Barrow Way starts in Lowtown. Co. Kildare along the towpaths and banks down the River Barrow to St. Mullins.

The South Leinster Way passes through Graig and climbs Brandon Hill, offering spectacular views of the Barrow and Nore river valleys, the Comeragh Mountains and the coastline.  A riverbank boardwalk has also been constructed up river from Graig with a circular route through Silaire Wood.

 

Tinnahinch

On departing Graig, keep to the east bank, and follow the navigation under the bridge. Upper Tinnahinch weir and cut are immediately below the bridge so keep to the left with the weir to starboard.  Be aware, there can be quite a pull towards the weir in strong flows. 

Tinnahinch Castle, beside the lock was a Butler Castle and defended the ford and then the wooden bridge against the Kavanaghs in the 1540s.  It was reinforced in the 17th century and held by the confederates in the Cromwellian Wars. 

 

On leaving Upper Tinnhinch lock, keep to the left / east bank as obstructions can occur on the outside of the bend.  Upper Tinnahinch has a 1.1m / 3.7ft fall.  The weir at Lower Tinnahinch is known as Uisce Mor.  There is some silting at the exit from Lower Tinnahinch, which has a 2.9m or 9.75 fall. 

Lock Keeper Mob: + 353 (0)87 9508987 Ballykeenan – St. Mullins locks.