The east and west
shores of Waterford Estuary from Ballyhack / Passage East to the
estuary mouth are described separately.
East is a picturesque fishing village
built beneath a high escarpment and based around two open squares and
three main quays: Boathouse Quay, Hackett's Quay and Middle Quay.
It is also the terminal for the car ferry to Ballyhack and the
Waterford Harbour pilot station. There are coastal walks north and
south with views over the estuary.
A year after Strongbow had landed at Bannow Bay, he landed at Passage
East on 23rd August 1170, with 200 knights and 1,000
soldiers. King Henry II followed him on 17th October 1171
with 500 knights and 4,000 soldiers. There is a long history of a
ferry service operating here from Waterford to Wexford.
dries at low water (LWS
draught -0.4 metres (-1.31 feet))and
there is also possible mooring at the floating pontoon for the pilot
boat (permission required). The
village has shops, a restaurant and pubs.
Waterford Airport is within 10km with flights to the UK and mainland
main channel runs adjacent and there is clear access to the harbour.
The position of the pierhead at the entrance: 52° 14.426' N, 006°
aware of the
Passage East Car Ferry which operates from Passage East to Ballyahck,
sunrise to sunset.
estimates are based on High Water Cobh +0021.
Down river from Passage East, stands Crooke Church. It is said that in
Strongbow vowed to take Waterford City by Hook or by Crook,
referring to the two possible landing sites on the Wexford side or the
Waterford side. Crooke Church is the site of the unknown croppy
grave, a memorial to all those who were held and executed in nearby
Geneva Barracks and Passage East during the 1798 Rising
In 1782, an Irish Parliament was granted under the English crown,
resulting in the scrapping of trade restrictions and plans for the
economic and cultural development of Ireland. Following a failed
rebellion in 1783, Genevan refugees were invited to form a colony of
artisans in Ireland to stimulate trade. This site was acquired for the
colony and named New Geneva but when the colony collapsed, the
government converted the site into a military barracks, which by 1798
was capable of holding almost 2,000 soldiers. The barracks were
notorious for atrocious conditions and ill treatment of prisoners.
Futher down the estuary, Woodstown House is a Regency house, built
around 1823. In 1967, Jackie Kennedy (widow of John F Kennedy) stayed
here with her children John and Caroline, visiting the ancestral home
in Dunganstown, outside New Ross. Woodstown Beach is a popular spot
Creadon Head has steps cut into the rock leading to the fields above,
where they join a bothareen, called Bothar na Mna Goirm (Road
of the Blue Women). This boreen was used to bring slaves from the
estuary to Glanmire, Co. Cork, where they were transported to America.