channel south from
the Barrow Bridge
to Waterford Estuary
clearly marked with navigation markers. Be aware of more commerical
shipping in the channel and strong winds on the wider river course
leading to choppy waters.
Cheekpoint lies on the southern shore of the confluence of the rivers
Barrow and Suir south of the railway bridge and ~10 miles north from
Hook Head lighthouse, at the top of Waterford Estuary.
interesting forest walks of
Lodgepole pine, Sitka spruce, Noble fir and Japanese larch
with viewpoints of the confluence and Waterford Estuary.
small harbour and dredged channel facing east-northeast dry out 200 m
from the shore at low water.
Cheekpoint has a pub serving food and a shop.
approach Cheekpoint, aim for the marked channel, east of the quay and
adjacent to the commercial channel. Avoid two
stone groins extending from the shore west of the quay and covered at
high tide (indicated by special marks - yellow) and the sand spit
running parallel to the shore north of the quay. The entrance to the
main channel is indicated by port and starboard hand marks.
northeastern pier head position is: 52° 16.348' N, 006° 59.745' W
Spring tides allow up to 1.5m, and neaps 0.6m inside the north wall,
with less depth further into the harbour and more outside the walls.
LWS: -1 metres (-3.28 feet). Tide estimates are based on High Water
Cobh +0025. Distance to: Dunmore East - 7.4 miles; Port of Waterford
- 4.2 miles and New Ross - 7.3 miles.
The power station on the east side, has a commercial jetty for large
fuel ships, not suitable for smaller craft.
As a secluded anchorage, Buttermilk Point is a traditional storm bolt
hole on the eastern shore, nine miles north of Hook Head lighthouse.
Buttermilk Castle was used by the Dunbrody Abbey monks to protect
their fishery, which had one of the first licenced weirs in Ireland.
The Campile River (a mile north of the anchorage) provides an
opportunity for exploration by smaller craft to Dunbrody Abbey or
further on, under a railway bridge and a road bridge to Campile
village with shops and a pub.
59m Cistercian Abbey is one of the longest in Ireland started by
Monks from Shropshire in 1182, the current structure was founded in
1210 by Harvey de Montemorisco
dissolved in 1537 under Henry VIII, who
granted it to the Ichingham family.
1544, the last Abbot Alexander Devereux, was made the 1st
Protestant Bishop of Ferns.
site, are a small museum, tearooms, craft gallery, small pitch n' putt
course and a hedge maze.
Campile river is only accessible for an hour each side of HW.
protection from all winds and excellent mud holding with LWS draught
of 3 m (9.84 ft).
is straightforward as the bank is adjacent to the main channel, 400m
east of the Carters Patch South starboard hand mark (Fl (2)G
4s) - positioned at: 52° 15.630' N, 006° 58.940' W. The wreck of the
French trawler the Petit Sarah to the northeast indicates the