Waterford Port to Fiddown        

There is clearance for motorboats under Rice Bridge at most tides, which is also a lifting, bridge with hauling buoys for shipping east of the bridge mid channel. Air draught at MHWS: 3m.  The navigation channel is deep with some shipping using the channel to Fiddown. The disused railway bridge has been stripped of one span so there is no headroom problem.  

After passing Waterford Boatyard on the port side, the new suspension bridge is next on the navigation. 


Grannagh Castle

After the bridge, is Grannagh Castle: a large, square enclosure with cylindrical corner towers that stands dramatically on the north bank.  Adjacent to this is Grannagh slipway.

James Butler, 3rd Earl of Ormonde, built the castle during the 14th century. Legend has it that the wife of the 8th Earl, Margaret was a witch.  One day looking out she saw her greatest foe, also a witch, coming up the river and she summoned a storm to deter her. The other witch caused horns to grow out of Margaret’s head so she could not withdraw out of the window.  Whenever there is a storm, strange noises are heard in the castle.  The Butlers lost the castle to Cromwell in 1649. 

From here on up river are many traditional fishing stretches or ledges and many of the snap net fishing cots can be seen on the north bank around Portnahully, Moonveen, Ballygorey and Pollrone (Mooncoin).  There is a quay and a slipway in Pollrone, which is ~1.5km from the village of Mooncoin, which has shops, pubs serving food, service station and post office.

Waterford & Suir Valley Railway

On the opposite bank runs the Waterford and Suir Valley Railway – a narrow gauge railway running trips from Kilmeadan along banks of the River Suir with views of the Comeragh Mountains, River Suir and Mount Congreve Gardens (Open April – September: www.wsvrailway.ie ++ 353 (0)51 311137. 


Mount Congreve

Mount Congreve Estate sits on the south bank with a private jetty. The house was built c. 1760 by the architect John Roberts, who also designed most of the 18th century public buildings in Waterford including the two cathedrals.  The gardens are open to the public April – September: www.mountcongreve.com ++353 (0)51 384115.

Section 30a: Section Chart