Extent of the Waterways - River
The Slaney Drive meets the main road at what is know as Ferrycarrig gorge. The skyline at Ferrycarrig is dominated by two buildings.
The Round Tower replicates an old Irish monastic structure and was erected in 1857 to commemorate Wexford men who were killed in the Crimean War 1854-1855. The tower stands at the site of the earliest FitzStephen fortification in Ireland, erected by the Norman knight Robert FitzStephen in 1169. During the excavations of the moat and surrounding area, two silver pennies from the time of Henry III (1247-1272) were unearthed, together with a battle axe and shards of French and English pottery.
The Heritage Park opened to the public in 1987 and the 30 acre site contains a reconstruction of fourteen different historic sites, representing 9000 years of Irish history. Situated at Ferrycarrig, in an area of great natural beauty with superb panoramic views of the Slaney estuary, the park contains woodlands, a nature trail, a tourist information point, audio visual area, picnic sites, a bookshop and coffee shop. Guided tours leave at regular intervals and take about 90 minutes. The park is open March 17-October 30, daily from 10:00. Tel: 053
From here it is a short drive into Wexford town or Weisfiord (the bay of the mud flats) as the Viking raiders called it when they arrived in the 9th century.
Wexford town is the ancient capital of this remarkable county. A
friendly and lively town with winding streets, a pretty quayside and great
shopping, Wexford’s origins date back to the 2nd century. The
town hosts many colourful events, including the Wexford Opera Festival in
Wexford Wildfowl Reserve on the North Slobs is an ideal visit for bird
lovers. County Wexford is also home to a number of other important
attractions such as the National Heritage Park and Selskar Abbey. Please use
the links on the left.
Selskar Abbey (National
Monument) was founded by the Roche family for the Canons Regular of St.
Augustine, the Abbey was dedicated to SS Peter and Paul in the 13th
century. The surviving parts of the nave are 15th century, the tower
is 14th century, and the church dates from the 19th century. Henry
II is reputed to have done penance here for the murder of Thomas a'Beckett.
The ruins are very attractive and there are some interesting old grave
slabs in the grounds. Key at 9 Abbey Street.
The imposing ancestral seat of
the Esmondes has a history which reaches back to the 12th century.
The earliest parts of the present structure date from the 1600s but the
Norman connection is retained through the tower, Rathlannon Castle, which
lies in the grounds. The castle and buildings accommodate a research
centre run by Teagasc (Agriculture and Food Development Authority) and it
also houses a major analytical laboratory. Only the reception area
of the house is open to the public. The other downstairs rooms are
used to host conferences, while the upstairs rooms are used as offices.
Tastefully laid out gardens,
picturesque lakes and many delightful picnic areas provide a marvellous
amenity, which is open all year.
The fine Agricultural Museum
reflects the development of agriculture in the region and houses a
permanent display of Irish country furniture. Open daily April to
November and other times by request. Admission charge. Tel: